Sunday, January 22, 2006

Nocturama

On the last day of the week I took to the road, I'd been staring out of the window most of the morning until, despite the prospect of the weather, I had summoned enough courage to leave the house.
On my way I passed the local tune dealer, who goes by the Name of Megastore - Virgin Megastore. I entered and I let love in and money out.
Then I took the small roads out of town, went down to the water of Leith walkway, took a little walk to the edge of town and went across the track till I came to where the viaduct looms like a bird of doom.


The path was empty, men and beast hiding from the rain that was pouring down heavily by now. I had left my house without my coat and soon my cloths clung to me like a shroud. So I walked through the rain and I walked through the mud till I came to a place called Newhaven. There was no such thing as a harbour in it and neither was it new; it was small and it was mean and it was cold. Long forgotten factory buildings stretched into the sky like giant teeth. There was no-one around - the streets and shops deserted, the only sound the rain drumming on corrugated sheet roofs.
I finally sheltered in a little fallen down chapel that people must have forgotten long ago.

The rain was clawing at its walls and a vicious wind blew hard and fast, I could hardly see anything outside.
After a while I heard footseps on the path and saw a shape in the rain approaching the chapel. When he got closer I could see it was an old man, walking bended and very slowly. He was soaked to the skin. When he entered the old chapel he looked me in the eye. It felt very strange. Like he had known he'd find me there. I was desperate to break the silence, so when I could no longer take his stare, I asked: "Where are alle the people?" He didn't take his gaze off me when he said: "You must have heard about the curse of Newhaven..." "The curse...?" was all I could utter.
To my relief, he was turning around now and staring into the wind and rain he said: "This city is an ogre, squatting by the river. It gives life but it takes it away..." Softly he spoke these words to me, with brand new eyes, open wide and then, like waking from a dream, he added: "Nobody lives here now."
I stood next to him in the doorway of the old forgotten chapel, trying to pierce the veil of rain with my eyes, and I watched the world as it fell past.
I turned to the old man but he was gone. I looked around in the chapel, but he was nowhere to be seen. There was no other way out than the door in which I was standing. He could not possibly have left without me seeing him. He had vanished into thin air. I heard his voice echoing in my ear..."...nobody lives here now ... nobody lives here now..."
I was terrified. I ran out into the rain, I ran and ran, I stumbled over roots and stones, I could hardly see the path, the rain was in my eyes, blinding me, and still I kept running until finally I saw the outlines of houses and a big white ship I knew lay in the harbour of Leith. The rain seemed to have lessened suddenly and back on the streets of Leith I saw a great big smiling sun. It seemed a good day and an evil day and all was bright and new.
I was horrified and confused, jostling through the crowd of people carrying on regardless of me, listening to their tiny plastic phones.
I took a bus home, closed and locked the door behind me and went into the kitchen for some hot cocoa and some medication and spent the rest of the day shivering in bed.
A couple of days later, a friend and I took the path again, this time in bright sunshine and coming from the other direction. I wanted to show my friend the chapel, but as much as we looked and as far as we went, there was none.
So, the big question of all this mystery is:
what did I buy at Virgin?

4 comments:

animaldelmar said...

and the answer is: die neue cd von nick cave and the bad seeds...?

SchnautzeJunge said...

... but right now, right now i'm a-roaming.

scotspotter said...

Very close, everybody...
Loesung gibts bald an dieser Stelle.

scotspotter said...

Penny gibs hier nich un Kartoffelsalat mit Raeucherspeck is ein 1A Fremdwort fuer diese Leute.
Aber Aldi und Lidl galore, sach ich dir!