Monday, April 02, 2007

It's the simple things in life

that really matter.

The simple things in life are those, that really, truely, madly, deeply render you blissfully happy. Theoretically, we all know about this eternal truth, but from time to time, it takes destiny's buttkick to make us understand the whole weight of it again.

It so happened to me last weekend, when we FINALLY inaugurated the barbecue-season in Görlitzer Park and after an hour I found myself happily stuffed with bits of grilled animals (sorry, Oma) and several luke chilled beers. And the latter ones were unconveniently trying to make their exit again in the designated way.

Now it has only just turned April and though spring may be on it's way, it has not yet arrived, so the bushes still stand naked, shaking their fists in the air. Plus it was onlly seven p.m. and still light out, so the obvious choice of disappearing behind some piece of shrubbery was no option.

What could I do?? I decided to just go home and hope that I would be quick enough to avoid any kind of embarassment. Tieing my shoelaces was a challenge already and I hadn't yet left the park when I realised there was no way, NO WAY, that I was ever ... gonna ... make it. I needed a pee, I needed it badly and I needed it NOW! Prontissimo! I was desperate, as I am too much of a chickening weirdo to just step into a bar, use the loo and be off again. This is what you may call a sac-de-cul dilemma, when there is just no way out and you are too stupid to turn around.

But suddenly, and without further warning, I was saved! I was turning the last corner on my way out of the park and BEHOLD:




GOD BLESS HANS WALL and his children. And his children's children. And his children's children's children!
I had never used one of those before, unwilling to pay half a quid for a pee as I am. But 50 cent seemed no sacrifice at all and after inserting the coin, OPEN SESAME!, the sliding doors glid aside for me, a gentle music starting to play after they closed again behind me.

Oooohhh, it's bliss!

Minutes later, I left my little refuge happy as a badger, thinking to myself:
It really is the simple things in life that really count.

So, children, always remember this wee lesson! The simple things!!

No comments: