Saturday, March 04, 2006

March is the new April

As it was my day off yesterday and I was able to sleep in until Sankt Nimmerleinstag, of course I awoke at eight in the morning. And this is not the dizzy I'll-just-turn-around-and-start-snoring-again type of awakness, nono, we're talking about the wide awake, ready to take over the world kind of awakeness. Shit.
So I turned on the radio, just in time to hear Robin Galloway talking about "sunny spells, no snow, maximum temperatures of 5".
"Fine", I thought, "I might just as well go outside and take a walk." It was beautiful and sunny indeed, so I took the bus to go to, wossname, Craiglockhart to walk down the Water of Leith Walkway to Colinton and the proceed as far towards Balerno as I could, a stretch of the Walkway that I didn't know yet.
Of course, Murphy rides beside me, and by the time I got off the bus, it was grey and cloudy. But I didn't let that put me off walking. After about 20 Minutes, it startet to snow gently. And then a bit more.
(voll der Schnee, ey)
And the even more.
When I had reached Colinton, the little white flakes had devellopped into a fully blown blizzard.
The snow was blowing vertically into my face and every crevice of my clothing. So I decided to go back home. By bus. Which operates every half hour. Guess how long I had to wait.
When the bus finally came (and I've almost never been so thankful for one of those), Craiglockhart, along with the rest of the town, had transformed into Minsk, and meself into a living Snowman.

Now I have to tell you that people here aren't really used to snow. You get it in the Highlands, where it has been the worst winter in 40 years, but here in the Central Belt, we saw snow for about two days in December and that's it.
So people startet throwing slushballs at each other, at buses, houses, lamp posts, old women with dogs and what have you.
Luckily I was in the bus.
Or should I say unluckily...
As you know, Edinburgh is not the most ... even of towns. There is your occasional hill, mountain, ascend here and there, and while some people might consider it unpleasant to go up a steep hill on a narrow road in the bus in good weather conditions, driving to the city centre in fresh snow is downright frightening. The wheels didn't have any grip any more and we were sliding around on the street. I grew at leat 3 grey hairs, I'm sure.
People took their sleds and toboggans out to what was by then hardly an icing of snow (wahaaaa, a pun, a pun!) on Arthur's Seat. (The stuff melts pretty quickly, don'tcher know.)
The Lady was in overwhelmed excitement and kept me from cooking dinner by dragging me out in the open to get some ot the snow in me shoes.
But on the other hand, it IS beautiful in't it? Look you here:

So, that's what happens to Edinburgh when Frau Holle takes her mid-season break in Scotland.
And what do I do? What I do best. Pull a face and be amazed...

No comments: