Saturday, February 04, 2006

To the Misty Mountains!

The one thing I regret about living in an place like Berlin is not being able to escape to the woods every once in a while. I mean, technically it's possible; I myself attempted to explore Tegeler Wald a couple of times, being bored of know-every-corner-of-it-Victoriapark or Same Old Trep everytime, but it takes about half a day to get there so that when you arrive you can almost be sure of the sun being gone.
So today, as the bright blue sky reminded me of Damien's words ("saer is a woode in Costorfiinoe. It's wreali bjutifulloe..."), I decided to take Mathilda on a little trip towards the western edge of town. There was the sweet scent of spring in the air, the birds were singing and the sun shone brightly on my face as I was sitting in the bus.
I got off at the zoo and had my ten minutes of exercise while walking up Costorphine Hill towards the woods. I entered the shadow of the trees and followed a well trodden path, past saturday doggie walkers and saturday kiddie walkers. After a couple of hundred metres I came around a bend in the path and saw before me the most phantastic view of the town. To my left there was the hill but to my right there was a steep slope and only a few trees, so that they gave way to overlook silverknowes and, in the distance, the castle, sitting majestically on its hill.
I continued and after a little while noticed a kind of tower or steeple on the hill to my left. The Indiana Jones part of me awoke, I left the main path and went exploring.
Uphill I found what was indeed a tower, sitting on the very summit of Costorphine Hill, surrounded by trees and illuminated by the golden sunlight.

Not far off there were the ruins of some building, but nothing much was left of it, so I cannae really tell what it once was, but this is what it lookes like:

I pondered in the sun for a while and had a closer look at both the tower and the ruined bit.
When I moved on I did't return to the main path but took one of the smaller ones, leading into the woods. I passed many a decaying bit of masonery on my way, the remainders of walls and steps of stone, leading nowhere.

The forest seemed enchanted, with green trees everywhere despite the time of year and myriads of Ivy leaves covering dead trees. The sun shone through the roof of the trees and made everything look so beautiful.

Now had I been an old toothless Scotswoman, I might be able to tell you the stories of the fayries living in these woods, scaring off anyone who wanders astray, keeping the outside world off their premises.
I am not a toothless ols Scotswoman, but I can assure you, the fayries are real!
When I was walking amidst the trees, I could hear them rustling in the undergrowth and whispering to each other, though I couldn't understand what they were saying. But I know for a fact that when they saw me walking all too confidently through their realm, they made the stones move, so that I fell flat on my sun warmed backside.
I took that as a warning and tried to find my way back to the main path. When I had climbed yet another summit, I could see the top of a hill in the distance, overgrown with trees and emerging from the mist like an island out of the see. For a split second I swear I could hear someone say "Avalon!".
I was amazed at the beauty of this place but well aware of its dangers. That and the fact that I was growing hungry made me climb downhill, until I could hear the noise of Queensferry Road not far off. I followed the sound, stepped out fom under the trees and Edinburgh had me back.

1 comment:

SchnautzeJunge said...

Ich glaube, den Wald/Park habe ich auch schon aus dem Augenwinkel gesehen, wenn ich mit dem Bus am Zoo vorbei Richtung Deine Schule oder Glasgow gefahren bin.

Lass uns da zusammen reingehen.