Saturday, October 22, 2005

The story continued

After spending the night in the Sligachan bunkhouse (we tried to get in touch with Peter McDonald from the Flora McDonald Hostel, but he didn't answer his phone), we hit the road early in the morning and had a closer look at the island, just taking a small road and following it until it reached the sea. We finally ended up in a place called Elgol, which even has a primary school (one teacher, five pupils I guess) and it really felt like the end of the world (a feeling that was to accompany us throughout the trip). We climbed the rocks at the beach and had lunch there. After that, we retraced our path past mountains, meadows and sheep back again to the bridge to the mainland and made our way up along the beauuuuuuuuutiful west coast. The landscape was so wonderfully breathtakingly extraordinary that it almost almost made me regret having to drive! Driving was fun, too! What a difference to german bumper-to-bumper autobahn and packed city streets! It felt like flying rather then driving, between the mountains, up and down, always sloping and ever so EMPTY THESE ROADS!!! Unfortunately, Tattie is liable to getting car sick, which as you will agree is not the best combintion with me as driver, so I had to pull meself tegither and drive slowly and gently. I failed most of the time, I know, Tattie, I'm sorry for that! I am weak...
Interlude:
As we passed some village, I happend to immediately and professionally scan the surroundings out of the corner of my eye and beheld: five peacocks strolling around in a side street in front of a building site... ? "Wahaaaaahahahaaaa???defuck?"
End of interlude.
The weather was a bliss!! I took this as a personal present from Caledonia herself, who was smiling upon us with splendid sunshine and only a few picturesque clowds...lovely! We reached Kinlochbervie before sunset, hey hey! but couldn't stay in the local bunkhouse as it has been blown away by the last storm, irrgs. So went went another hour up north, it got lonelier and lonelier, much to my delight (single track roads!!juhuuu!!!) and we finally reached Durness...by nightfall, of course! Now Durness is the main town/village/settlement of the north west region and it is about the size of ... Neumuehl if that means anything to you. We got ourselves four tartan covered beds in the Lazy Crofter hostel and after a little snack took a walk to the beach. (see picture below, the one with the moonlight) It was a-ma-zing! It looked like a part of a very cheesy fifties film, with the moonlight reflecting on the water, the little bay and the dunes. We spend about half an hour speechless there, everybody deep in her own thoughts. What else is there to do in such a place? Again, it felt like the end of the world, with nothing between there and the north pole (exept water, is klar).
Sietzke, Rach and I got up before dawn the next morning to watch the sun rise over Durness bay. What can I say? I'm not an early morning person as Jo will confirm, but this really made up for being upright and walking at six in the morning! I was sitting on a mossy stone that had been put there for me, eingemummelt in my anorak and watched as the light and, with it, the wind were slowly coming up. Wow!!
We then got back to the hostel to check on Tattie who had meanwhile been shopping. She had bought some fruit and chocolate for the driver, mjammjam!
End of part two

No comments: